Friday, February 22, 2008

Colic, Colic, Colic

Maddux has had colic since he was about two weeks old. I've heard that it's a stage that they eventually they grow out of it...I hope it's true!

At times its not that bad but there are days where I swear he has an upset stomach for the whole day! Last night and today has been one of those days. Since about 11 o'clock last night he has been crying a lot! He will occasionally fall asleep for only an hour and a half at a time and then wakes up crying again...it's so sad and so tiring!


There are a few tricks that have been passed down to me by my sister Olivia who's daughter also had colic and by my Mom. They are the only things that keep me somewhat sane...so I thought I would pass them along.


First is the Yoga Ball...I know it seems strange but you sit on it and bounce with the baby on your lap and I don't know why but it calms them down. This is an easy thing you can do and it gives you a much needed break from the screaming!



Another trick is "Baby Bliss Gripe Water" it is a miracle worker! It's a natural herbal water that you give them when they have a stomach ache and within minutes of giving it to them they calm down, start getting all their bubbles up, and usually fall asleep. It is amazing stuff! You can't get it in a lot of places so I have to order it off the Internet... but it is worth all the trouble. We don't leave the house without it!

The last trick is a tip from my Mom. She recommends feeding them herbal tea...either peppermint or chamomile flavored. It seems strange but it works. The warmth of the liquid calms them down and it also helps them get bubbles up. They won't drink a lot but even just a sip can help. They will usually fall asleep after drinking it... and it's good to know that after they wake up they will be starving!

Good thing Maddux is such a cute little guy because it can be so frustrating at times. I am thankful to have Greg around too because he is always willing to take a turn holding him when he's upset! Let's hope this stage is over soon!

4 comments:

Tristen said...

Mel! I totally feel for you because Nathan was just like that and it gets really frustrating. All's I can say is that they will grow out of it and things will get better for him and YOU! Love ya girl!

Ames Family said...

Mel I relate 100%! Tate had colic so terrible for 5 months...24-7. We had him tested 3 times at Primary Childrens hospital because I swore that there was something wrong. And I had to laugh because the yoga ball memories are all too familiar. ;) Have you tried simethicone drops?? I am sure you have. They helped Tate with gas...but I honestly think that nothing gets rid of colic. He just had to grow out of it!!! Good luch...I love lots, and thanks for the text last night. The babies are home and doing much better...hopefully I can update my blog today.

Lane and Katie Eyre said...

Sounds like you have a handle on how to calm him down. I think Heavenly Father knew I wasn't patient enough to handle a colicy baby the first time around. Consider that a compliment!

Ames Family said...

Hi Mel, hope you are hanging in there with Maddux's colic. I think about you a lot! We are going to be heading down to St. George around the 21st. Are you going to be home for Easter? Let me know. I would LOVE to see you and meet cute little Maddux!